let’s be honest: i’ve been not-so-patiently waiting for this day since blink-182’s enema of the state was released in the summer of ’99.
i expected to spend the day driving around town, windows down, blasting “what’s my age again?”, shouting the lyrics at really anyone that i happened to pass by.
but the reality was a bit different — though i am very happy to report i did, in fact, blast the song at least once. as soon as i woke up, rolled out of bed, and shuffled into the kitchen to whip up the littlun’s breakfast, i pressed play on my birthday anthem.
birthdays aren’t like they were before, not now that i’m a mama and have a tiny human to take care of around the clock. but that’s okay, truly. birthdays were never, with the exception of perhaps a handful when i was a littlun myself, my cup of tea. the older i get, the less i care to celebrate in any big or flashy way. a day spent napping, or listening to records, or reading harry potter would suffice.
and as list-making is one of my greatest little joys, what better way to commemorate my turning 23 than by a bit of list-making?
23 truths i’ve learned in my 23 years:
- everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.
- no one has ever become poor by giving.
- the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
- forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.
- laughing during sex is the best.
- pick your battles.
- love at first sight is meeting your child for the first time.
- crying is not a sign of weakness.
- day by day, nothing changes, but when you look back, everything is different.
- all bodies are beach bodies.
- you become what you think.
- being kind is more important than being right.
- the best things in life aren’t things.
- it’s okay to not be okay.
- smoking cigarettes does not make you look cool.
- comparison is the thief of joy.
- you can’t make the same mistake twice. the second time you make it, it’s no longer a mistake. it’s a choice.
- the little things are the big things.
- it’s never too late.
- contrary to popular belief, there is such a thing as too much coffee.
- actions speak louder than words.
- happiness comes from within.
- what’s for you will not pass you and what passes you is not for you.